Auto accidents happen every day in the U.S., to the tune of 6 million accidents a year. Unfortunately, many of these accidents result in serious personal injury. In 2019, of the 6 million accidents reported, 2 million sustained severe or permanent injuries. In addition to severe and permanent injury, 90 lives a day are lost to auto accidents.
The most proactive means of avoiding injury and reducing ejection rates from a car is wearing a seatbelt. Seatbelt use reduces the death rates in accidents by 45%, and the risk of injury by 50%. Hence seatbelt use is vital for every occupant of a vehicle. Of the 6 million accidents a year, 6% are fatal, 27% result in injury, and 72% result in property damage only. The top three cited causes of fatal accidents include:
- Alcohol (40% of fatal crashes)
- Speeding (30% of fatal crashes)
- Reckless driving (33% of fatal crashes)
Reckless driving arises when a driver exercises poor judgment while behind the wheel, ignores the laws, and their behavior results in an accident. A form of reckless driving is distracted driving. There are three types of distracted driving, according to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Visual distraction – takes your eyes off the road
- Manual distractions – takes your hands off the steering wheel
- Cognitive distractions – takes your mind off driving
Distracted driving claims nine lives and causes 1,060 injuries a day in the United States. Driver texting causes 25% of all crash-related injuries.
Cell phone use in any capacity takes your complete attention off the road. Approximately 40% of U.S. teenagers report they have been in a car when the driver was using a cell phone. A driver’s focus is reduced by 37% when driving and using a cell phone.
Were You in a car wreck in Lake Charles LA?
If you were injured by a reckless driver, the personal injury lawyers at Lundy LLP can help you with your serious injury claim. Proving another driver was negligent is paramount to obtaining compensation in a serious injury accident.
Our attorneys have the experience and resources necessary to help you build your case. You will need to prove:
- The dat-fault driver breached their duty of care through reckless or negligent behavior.
- Their failure to drive responsibly caused the accident.
- The accident caused your injuries.
- You incurred significant injury and financial repercussions with supporting documentation to prove the injuries were sustained from the accident, including medical reports, ICU and/or doctors invoices, lab reports, police reports, paycheck stubs, and more.
Most victims require compensation to pay the mounting medical bills suffered from a car accident. A Personal Injury Claim is the vehicle to obtaining that compensation. While every personal injury claim is different, and can be negotiated easily, other victims are not so lucky. There may be extensive negotiation with the at-fault drivers insurance company, and full compensation may not be on the table, this is when the trial experience of the law firm you choose to represent you will become important.
If you have incurred serious injury in an accident, call the personal injury trial attorneys in Lake Charles Louisiana at Lundy LLP as early as possible. Serious injury claims can take years to conclude. Not only will your attorney be able to start your claim process sooner, but they can also review reports, investigate the scene of the accident, interview witnesses and help to establish fault early while memories are fresh.